MDF panels are made of small wood fibers that are pre-cleaned from debris. They are carefully dried, treated with binders. The resulting substance is formed into forms of a certain thickness, pressed under high pressure, temperature.
Then they go through the process of polishing, they are given color with the help of paintwork materials, PVC film, and surface coating with plastic. The most environmentally friendly is MDF sheet, lined with natural veneer, covered with a pattern or photo printing.. So MDV boards are made, which are often used to finish the working wall or, as it is also called, the apron.
A common way to finish the kitchenreturn to menu ↑
- Environmental friendliness. The material on this parameter is not inferior to the tree. It is made from wood fibers. It does not include synthetic additives, glue with harmful impurities.
- Moisture resistance. The plates have a dense structure that does not let moisture through. During production, the material goes through several stages. Extrusion under high pressure, temperature provides high density. Therefore, the material is resistant to high humidity.
- High mechanical strength. Material is hard to damage: scratch, make a dent. All material is produced under high pressure. It has a high density, it is also covered with films or varnishes, which increase its resistance to mechanical damage.
- Heat resistance. Plates are not damaged by temperature, humidity. Materials suitable for installation in the kitchen are covered with film or varnish, depending on the model. This protective layer prevents the penetration of moisture, increased temperature in the inner layers.
- A variety of species presented in stores, provide an opportunity to create a beautiful interior. There are models suitable for the floor, walls, aprons. Different colors and textures, shades, patterns - all this contributes to the selection of material for different interiors.
By environmental friendliness is not inferior to the treereturn to menu ↑
For the manufacture of used wood boards. Depending on the technology used, they acquire different properties, appearance. They can be divided into groups:
- Solid-pressed - panels are made under pressure. They have a smooth surface on both sides. Such models are covered with a protective layer.
- Laminated - after the main production stage, the film is coated on one side. It protects the surface from damage, gives it a glossy or matte shine.
- Moisture resistant sheets - versatile material. It hides the flaws of the walls - all of their irregularities, not damaged by moisture. Externally, the sheets resemble plastic, smooth to the touch, even.
The plates have a dense structure that does not let moisture through.
By way of the design of the front surface:
- Glossy panels. The material is often used in the manufacture of the facade of furniture. The surface of MDF is protected by a dense layer of polyester or primer. The primer has enhanced properties, qualities: a mirror-glossy surface, resistant to scratches and other damage.
- Veneered - have the texture of natural wood. For imitation, a thin layer of veneer made of natural wood is used, which is superimposed after the final stage of manufacturing the plates.
- Painted panels - after fabrication, the surfaces are painted with a different color. It smoothes irregularities, gives them a beautiful look. The material is painted with a paint resistant to damage of any shades and tones.
- Panels with 3D effect. This is a chance to create an individual design. MDF decorative panels with 3d effect - know-how in the construction market. This method consists in applying to the finishing material by imitation of waves, geometric shapes, carving, and relief in various colors. Registration of the room with such material helps to solve the most complex design ideas.
Have dense structure which does not pass moisture
According to the form:
- Molded or slatted - made strips in the shape of a rectangle. They can be made of different widths. To lock them together, locks are created along the length of each panel. This material can be used for walls, ceiling. Lining has two types: small along the length of the panel up to 1 meter in length and design, the length of which reaches 2 meters.
- MDF sheet panels - used for wall and ceiling decoration. Available in sheets of large sizes. If to use them at installation, the picture turns out seamless. May on the front have a picture.
- Tiled - imitate tile. Installation occurs on the principle of rack - groove, hook. The material is used for cladding surfaces located close to the worktop.
The material is resistant to high humidity
The thickness of the plate can be different:
- the thinnest. The material has a thickness of 5 to 9 mm. It has low weight, low strength. Most often used for finishing the ceiling in the kitchen. Such models are easily damaged, so they can not be used for cladding walls, apron;
- average thickness from 10 to 18 mm - used for wall cladding in the kitchen, in the manufacture of furniture. It is a sturdy material, but during installation it takes up useful space;
- the largest thickness is from 19 to 38 mm. They are used for wall and floor cladding. Effective in private homes when you need to solve two problems: to make the walls beautiful, smooth, to warm the room. Used in apartments as flooring, as well as facing the end walls.
Material is hard to damage: scratch, make a dent
MDF with a plastic coating is considered to be resistant to surface damage, environmentally friendly - with veneer veneer, and effective with photo printing.
Wall panels can also be divided by texture - it is smooth or embossed. Smooth models visually increase the space. They are used in facing the walls of kitchens that have a small area. But embossed models look more impressive. They show less damage that is unavoidable during operation. They are easier to care for.return to menu ↑
Kitchen veneer options
At first glance it may seem that the best solution would be to veneer all surfaces of the kitchen with this material. However, the result obtained rarely gives the desired effect. Only in large-area kitchens will this material look good on all surfaces: the ceiling, the walls.
Of course, you can connect the imagination, using the game of colors, textures to create the desired effect. For example, warm colors are used for the dining area. Fit sheet veneered sheets.For the work area, you can take a brighter model - glossy or with photo printing in bright colors. But it is still better to use such techniques for decorating the kitchen in the country or a country house, where its area allows you to experiment.
There are smooth and embossed options.
Partial decoration is applied to these premises in the apartment. It can be trimming the bottom of the wall, apron or ceiling. For walls suitable material that resembles ceramic tiles visually. It looks spectacular. You can use different colors, textures. It creates a slight accent. But for the ceiling it is better to use rack panels of warm shades: light beige, blue, creamy.
Glossy white models on the ceiling will look spectacular.
Beautifully decorated decorated wall. You can use different in appearance materials. Apply contrasting colors, make bright accents. For example, the kitchen, made in a beige shade, and the apron in dark brown. And you can use the material, different in their texture. With glossy facades to apply the plates, imitating lining.Do not choose the same material for wall and ceiling plating. It should be different in texture or color, so as not to visually reduce the volume and height of the room.
Panels are not damaged by temperature drops.return to menu ↑
MDF panels with photo printing
Photo printing on MDF panels is applied in several ways:
- drawing is applied to the film. Then it is glued to the finished panel. This is a short-lived, cheap way to put a picture on the panel. Such materials are not resistant to moisture and are susceptible to damage;
- the picture is applied on acrylic plastic, which is covered with a layer of varnish on top. It is a material protection, therefore panels with photo printing, made in this way are more resistant to damage, moisture;
- in the manufacture of photo printing using technology "hot lining". The image is applied to the surface, and then it is covered with several layers of varnish. The multi-layer board is highly resistant to damage and moisture. Such models are used in the kitchen for the apron. The negative point is the high cost.
Using photo printing
Compared to other materials used in facing the kitchen walls, MDF panels have several advantages:
- installation is easy, does not require the use of special tools. Installation can be carried out independently. Mounting requires level glue;
- each model has a protective layer. Such plates withstand changes in temperature and humidity. They are easy to clean and do not require special care with the use of special detergents;
- the brightness and richness of colors remains forever. When coloring special paint is used, which does not lose its brightness in the process of use;
- Many MDF manufacturers produce a wide variety of colors, shades, textures, and shapes. Choose the desired model is not difficult;
- the weight of the panel construction will be negligible. At installation the minimum amount of glue is used.
Beautiful, floral apronreturn to menu ↑
With photo printing in the interior
For this room it is recommended to purchase them with a thickness of no more than 12 mm. Then they will not take up space, but at the same time they will be reliable and resistant to damage. Such constructions are reliable; you can only damage them if you specifically press with a knife or other sharp object.
For placement in bright colors suitable products with bright accents, but the color and shade depends on where the panel will be located. If it is an apron, you can make it in rich colors.Pictures will look beautiful butterflies, the ocean, nature. If the wall is decorated, for example, in the dining area, then you can pay attention to more muted tones. For the kitchen in the style of minimalism or modern, it is better to choose the image of the night city or bridge, a beautiful night sky with the moon.
MDF panels made with 3D photo printing is an extraordinary element of decor that will transform the kitchen and give a new stylish look. Such models can be placed both in the dining area and on the working wall. The choice of paintings depends on the overall style of the room, the color of the furniture.return to menu ↑
About 10 years ago, many did not even know that instead of a tile, porcelain stoneware on the working wall - panels made of DVA, could be installed. This material was previously used only in the manufacture of furniture and other structures, where quality and a high aesthetic component are important. But thanks to manufacturers and their tireless work in improving the properties of this material and enhancing its beauty, MDF boards of different colors, patterns, sizes and shapes appeared on the construction market of finishing materials.
Option for apron
An apron is a place that is located between the worktop in the kitchen and the top drawers. This part of the wall is located close to the stove, the working surface, where all the processes take place during cooking: cutting, chopping, cutting meat and so on. Therefore, it must be reliably protected.
Previously used for finishing ceramic tiles or porcelain.
These materials have limited color solutions, their color is not bright and with their help it is impossible to decorate the walls of the kitchen, just to protect them.MDF performs two functions at once - it protects the walls, all the grease, drops from the water remain on it, while easily removed, as well as decorative - the apron looks very nice. With it, you can arrange the necessary accents in the kitchen, make it attractive and unusual.
In modern stylereturn to menu ↑
The work area can be arranged in the same color as the table top. This method is successful if a popular design is made - a single work area. A single color will visually separate the place for cooking.
The color of the apron should not be defiant, because it will have to look often and not one year, but it should not be dull and dull.With gray you have to be very careful. It is beautiful and attracts attention, but not in the kitchen. A room decorated in this tone will be gloomy, but if you use them with such a shade, but interspersed with yellow, golden color, they will become a stabilizer.
Today, the trend red, cherry tones. Popular green, natural wood, brown colors. According to the designers, the color of the red maple leaves, turquoise and azure, look beautiful in the interior. Required shades in the style of Provence, white gloss, coffee with milk.
In the design of the dining room
Choosing the size of the apron for the kitchen, you need to bear in mind that it should go a few centimeters beyond the top and bottom edge of the cabinets.
There is no such color that would be ideal for all kitchen sets and designs. His choice depends on personal preferences and used furniture. Some choose to match its color with the basic tone of the walls.
However, these colors can coincide only in two versions:
- If the wall where the furniture is installed, is different in tone from the others.
- If you want to create a neutral environment.
The color of the apron should not be defiant
Harder to pick up the panel if the furniture is opredelennogo color. Then the apron should be combined with the color of the headset.
- light green and purple are unusual colors that look beautiful in tandem;
- yellow and green - a combination that fits different styles;
- white and red - can be used in small kitchens;
- white and dark gray - suitable for rooms of various sizes;
- rich pink and black - will give personality and bright accents;
- bed shades and bright prints on the apron.
Such models can be thematic - with drawings and images. For the kitchen are relevant images of fruits and vegetables. But there may be other images on the panel.
The work area can be arranged in the same color as the table top.return to menu ↑
The interior uses various techniques for decoration. Different materials are used to place accents, make decoration with different texture materials.
If the working area in the kitchen is a place where actions take place, it can be decorated in bright colors, with bold accents. That dining area is part of the room where people eat. It should be comfortable and cozy. Juicy colors are not allowed here. As a rule, this wall is fully decorated with material. And if recently wallpaper was used as a material, now it is MDF panels. Such lining is much more profitable tiles and other finishes:
- high quality material. The walls are protected, they are not damaged from scratches, do not overwrite. Repair in the kitchen will have the original appearance for a long time;
- with the help of various textures, colors can be divided into the dining area. Due to the variety of colors it is possible to create a unique interior;
- MDF panels can visually expand the space. They are used in rooms with a small area;
- The price of this material is lower than the tiles, but higher than the wallpaper. At the same time, quality and durability are better than these materials.
According to the designers, designs made of MDF are the best option for decorating the walls in the kitchen. If this room is spacious, has a rectangular shape or is combined with the living room, you can use the panels to make a partition, visually separating them. It can be the panels reminding the lining having a varnish covering.In rooms with a small area, this material trim the opposite side of the work. These can be models with both photo printing and ordinary seamless sheets cut to the size of the free area.
Veneered plates or beautiful patterns should be chosen with a natural shade.It is suitable for dining area. Such material will be more beautiful than ordinary tile and more practical than wallpaper.
MDF is the best option for wall decoration in the kitchen
It will be interesting to you:
Wall panels (MDF): +165 Photo examples of modern and stylish designreturn to menu ↑
Installation method: installation design
Installation is an easy and quick job that anyone can handle. To begin installation, you need to remove from the walls of old nails, coating, tile adhesive or wallpaper. If there are strong irregularities, they need to be plastered. The walls are treated with antifungal composition, it will prevent the formation of mold. On the plates immediately need to cut the necessary holes for sockets and switches.
After that, you need to attach the mounting bar that will hold the panel during installation. After completion of the work, it is removed. It is fixed with a dowel, you need to check the levels, its evenness.
In classic style
- Installed with the help of "liquid nails." This process is suitable for even walls. If there are irregularities, it is better to eliminate them with a putty. The surface falls flat, there are no joints and no fastenings are visible.
- Installation with wooden slats. This method is suitable for those who have uneven walls in the kitchen, have holes and significant drops. When mounted in this way, the attachment points are visible.
Panel installation on glue
This installation method is not suitable for all types. More reliably glue holds sheets, the thickness of which does not exceed 18 mm. Glue the surface can only be on smooth walls. If, after removing the old coating, irregularities remain on them, you need to putty. Allowable variations are 2-3 mm.
This material is easy to install.To work safely with glue, you need to use rubber gloves and a respirator!
The scheme of pasting the walls of MDF panels:
- the working surface is thoroughly cleaned from the old coating. Removed paint, wallpaper and other finishing materials. If the surface is uneven, you need to align it with plaster. All surfaces are primed. Used primer against the formation of mold and mildew. It increases adhesion;
- if the lining is complete, that is, the walls are covered with panels from the floor to the ceiling, an edge should be installed near the baseboard. It can be of two types: metal profile or wooden lath. The first bar is set by level. This will simplify the installation of the remaining plates;
- if the plates are of small width, the glue is applied over the entire surface in a staggered manner. If sheet material is installed and its area is large, the glue is applied to the slab and the wall so that when pressed on the surface it is evenly distributed over the entire surface.
The interior is made under light wood.
Installation begins with a corner. The first tile is applied to the surface of the wall, nestled and tapped with a rubber mallet. This should be done carefully, checking the flatness of gluing with a level. If the first panel is laid with a slope, then all subsequent ones will be uneven. If the wall paneling is glued or the tile is installed correctly, the level is checked every 5 fragments. If excess glue protrudes when mounted, it should be immediately removed from the surface. This is done with a cloth moistened with water or alcohol solution. After the entire surface is laid, the necessary accessories are installed - corners, baseboards, etc.
When installing, you can use "liquid nails" or a special all-purpose adhesive.return to menu ↑
Mounting on frame or crate
If the walls of the kitchen have significant defects, you need to make a frame for wall panels. It can be made of two types of materials - it is aluminum and wood. This version of the plating is also used when installing the ceiling, hidden wiring.
Lining or lath - made in the shape of a rectangle
- If an aluminum profile is used as a frame, it cannot be processed. If wooden lath is used, it must be impregnated with a compound against rotting and fungus formation;
- the same treatment is subjected to a wall. They may have significant irregularities, primed more carefully to fill all the gaps and holes with the compound;
- crate is performed. When installing the plates on the walls, the crate is installed with a step of 40-50 cm. However, its first row should be no more than 4-5 cm from the ceiling and the floor. For the ceiling, the crate is made with a smaller step of 20-30 cm;
- The frame is attached to the surface with screws for metal or wood, depending on the material. The mounting step is 50 cm. After mounting the batten, you need to check the flatness with a level.
It has a large width and length
Installation of panels begins with a corner. The first plate is attached to the crate with nails. They should be positioned so that they are covered with decorative inserts. During installation you need to check the evenness of installation.
The use of material in the ceiling
The next plate is installed in the lock and is also attached to the frame. After installation of the whole structure, internal and external corners are mounted, the plinth is laid.