With the necessary share of creativity, you can work on creating a two-level ceiling. Consider where to start.
The work goes consistently:
- first you need to read about what are the materials - each of them has its advantages, disadvantages, features, varieties that need to be sorted out;
- then you need to think about what goal you want to achieve, making a two-level ceiling in the living room - highlight the area, additionally decorate the room;
- select a combination of materials, focusing on the vending texture, cost, complexity of work;
- develop the final design with the help of graphic editors - choose the color, shape, estimate how the material will fall.
Among these ceilings are both cheap and expensive.
And at the end, deciding what should be the nuances, you can either hire craftsmen who will embody the idea, or go to the hardware store and purchase materials along with the tools to assemble the structure yourself.
Material classification is simple: it includes only four points:
- the foam is the cheapest, with the lightest;
- drywall - the most difficult, requiring the presence of the frame;
- fabric - refers to stretch ceilings, but is much more expensive than the rest;
- film - also applies to the tension, but significantly different from the fabric.
To choose from this short list, it is necessary to go deep into nuances and features.
Choose a harmonious combination of materialsreturn to menu ↑
Two-level foam ceilings
Polyfoam is not the most common material, because only flawless taste and great skill can make it aesthetic. In most cases, it looks cheap and you have to try to avoid this trouble.
But it has its advantages:
- Ease of attachment. To fix the plasterboard ceiling, a complex construction of hollow metal pipes is required. To fix the tension, we need a team of workers with a heat gun. And for the foam will have enough light hand in combination with a universal glue - even a person who is far from repair will be able to cope with it.
Beautiful and stylish living room in gray tones.
- Low weight. With foam, there are no problems during transportation, even if you need to raise it to the tenth floor, and the elevator broke down. Also, no calculations are required - the ceiling beam will withstand even the most complex structure of it.
- Ease of processing. To form a beautiful two-level ceiling of drywall, it takes either a lot of experience or a lot of time, plus a tool.
Polyfoam can be cut with a simple stationery knife, and polished with fine emery paper to get a similar result.
- Chemical Resistance. Polyfoam can be painted, it is possible to coat the result with varnish, it is possible to impose means that will make it shine metallic or look like stone - it will not harm it at all.
- Water resistance. Even if the climate is humid, the air is always saturated with water, it will not hurt foam plastic - it cannot go blistering, rotting or moldy.
The cheapest material is foam
- Soundproofing. Of course, with the effect that drywall has, the effect of foam plastic can not be compared, but it will help to slightly dampen the noise from the neighbors above.
- Price and size. Almost a major plus - you can buy a lot of stuff for a penny and work with it, gaining experience. It helps that material is produced in sheets of different sizes - it is easy to choose a suitable one among them.
- Ease of care. It is enough to wipe the foam from time to time with a damp cloth to keep its original color and brightness.
Of course, there were some drawbacks:
- Water resistance. This is a plus, but also a minus. The foam does not let moisture in at all, which is why the humidity in the room rises significantly.
- Combustibility. The material burns, black smoke is suffocated from it. At the time of the fire will increase the smoke in the room.
- Fragility. The foam, even when treated, will easily crack, crumble if you apply enough force. One hit - the surface will lose its appearance.
Custom idea for ceiling decoration
But the main disadvantage of the foam is still not stability, not fragility and not flammability, but the fact that you can give it a decent look only after a long, difficult work. He needs to give shape, glue, plaster, sand, paint, varnish - only if everything was done carefully, the result will be worth it.BoardUse foam if the creative process is more important to you than wasted time and effort. Then, after some unsuccessful attempts, the two-level ceiling in the living room will look good. Return to the menu
Drywall - the most used material for the manufacture of two-level ceilings. Regarding polyfoam, it is expensive, but relatively stretch is cheap. It has specific advantages that explain its popularity:
Drywall - the most used material
- Elevation accounting. If your living room is notable for irregularities, complex communications, cracks, hollows, drywall will help to hide all this more reliably than a stretch ceiling.
- Flexibility. Stretch ceiling is a flat canvas. Drywall is much more flexible, you can knead it, pull it in all directions, make complex constructions from it, adjust it to any design ideas.
- Fire resistance. Foam burns and smokes, stretch surfaces too. Gypsum cardboard is completely resistant to flame, in case of fire unless it is smoked.
- Environmental friendliness. Drywall in the recycling process does not harm the environment.
- Resistance to mechanical stress. If the tension surfaces are torn from a single inaccurate touch, and the foam crumbles, then the drywall withstands shocks.
- Easy installation of lamps. Drywall is easy to drill, easy to lay in any form. Built in the process of fixtures is easy.
- Soundproofing. The material gives the best sound insulation among all.
In the process of recycling does not harm the external environment.
But drywall also has disadvantages:
- Lack of resistance to water. In the living room it is not so important, because there are no permanent sources of water in it, but if the climate itself is high in humidity, this may affect the service life. With increased humidity, drywall will warp, go waves, stains, it may even rot.
- Lack of resistance to biological threats. The two-level ceiling on the frame can be a haven for the ubiquitous cockroaches, moldy or suffer from fungus. You can, however, handle it with appropriate compositions.
- The relative complexity of the finish. To make the plasterboard ceiling look good, you have to either hire experienced workers or spend a lot of time.
- The complexity of care. Drywall suffers from moisture, because it can only be cleaned with dry methods.
The material gives the best sound insulation among all
For drywall, you must first prepare a frame of thin metal pipes, using a drill and screws. Then you need to cut the elements of the levels so that they are mounted on the frame, like pieces of a mosaic. Then you need to fix them, process the seams so that they are not visible.
The process is labor intensive and requires investment.BoardThe ceiling of plasterboard makes sense if you want to try yourself in the construction business, or if the final result requires exactly this complex material. Return to the menu
Stretch ceilings have three types and each of them has its own specifics.
Film version distinguishes from the rest underlined smoothness
The most famous - film. It is distinguished from the rest by the underlined smoothness. Bright, like a mirror, the surface reflects everything that happens below.
This option has advantages:
- Aesthetics. Few finishes can be compared with a perfectly even stretch ceiling.
- Moisture resistance. The stretch film simply does not deteriorate if there is high humidity in the room. If the neighbors from above suddenly start flooding you, the water will stop and do not move on - of course, the film itself will be spoiled, but the walls will not be affected.
- Price. Regarding other types, film is the cheapest.
- Relative ease of installation. Stretching the film for a qualified team of workers is a matter of a couple of days, while you have to tinker with the fabric.
- Variety of colors. Any material based on plastic differs in brightness and variability of coloring. The surface can be one-color, two-color, with patterns, you can even print a large photo on it - the design can be anything, it is limited only by the master's imagination.
- Ease of care. It does not require anything more than foam - it is enough to hold a wet cloth over it, and it will again find the same shine as the first day.
Regarding other types, film is cheapest
The film does not accumulate dirt and dust, after installation there is little garbage.
But there are also disadvantages:
- Lack of resistance to mechanical damage. Enough not too strong a blow - even just touching a sharp object - and the surface is torn, leaving a torn hole with jagged edges. It is difficult to remove it, again you need to call the masters with a heat gun.
- The absence of resistance to low temperatures. Of course, in the living room of a residential house the temperature is unlikely to drop to zero, but if this happens, the surface will crack and lose all its elegant appearance.
- Installation difficulty. Alone, especially without experience and special equipment, it is impossible to stretch the film. You will definitely have to turn to the construction team.
Red and white living room in modern style
The stretching of the film should be carried out before the furniture is delivered to the room. During installation, the temperature will rise, it can damage things.BoardIf you do not want to spend time and make efforts, it is easiest to order a film. Return to the menu
Stretch fabric and satin
The fabric has appeared on the market as an alternative to film, relatively recently and has not yet had time to gain such staggering popularity. It is offered in two versions - it is either a simple fabric, having a texture similar to the texture of an ideally laid plaster, or a matt satin, which has a specific brilliance and a chic look.
Fabric, as an alternative to film
In addition to external signs, they have practically no differences and the advantages are the same:
- Resistance to mechanical damage. Of course, if you specifically beat on the fabric, it will break. But the accidental blow to it is not dangerous, as well as sharp objects.
- Cold resistance. Even if one day the temperature drops, the fabric will not lose its qualities and will not look worse.
- "Breathable "surface. Fabric is the only material that allows the space above the ceiling to exchange air with the rest of the room. It does not trap moisture.
- Aesthetics. The fabric looks like a perfectly smooth plaster, satin - like the same plaster, only matte, with a pleasant pearlescent. It is beautiful.
Option from sateen
But the flaws in the fabric are also enough:
- Price. The most expensive material for a two-level ceiling.
- Installation difficulties. A heat gun is not needed, but you need to upholster the entire room around the perimeter, and if something goes wrong, you will need to redo it.
- Difficulty of care. The fabric can not be washed, it requires dry care. Usually suggest to use a vacuum cleaner, which remove the dust.
- Lack of resistance to fire and biological problems. The fabric may mold, become covered with fungus, and may burn in a fire.
But for some interiors, fabric is what you need. It fits perfectly with the classic design, looks good in a minimalist Japanese interior. Despite a slightly smaller variety of colors than the film, it can be a great solution for your living room.
Important nuances for design
After reviewing the materials, we turn to more interesting things - to design. And it is determined primarily by the goal. If you are going to make a two-level ceiling in the living room, you can achieve the following:
- Divide the room into zones. If you have a small apartment and the hall in it fulfills several appointments at once, this is advisable. Select a leisure area with a TV, separate it from the rest of the room - or a sofa with a bookshelf. In this case, you need to make a level drop so that it is located just at the junction of the two zones.
- Decorate and draw attention to the top of the room. It is advisable if you like minimalism in terms of furniture, and you prefer to decorate the room with its immediate decoration, rather than small accessories. In this case, you need to think about how this decoration should be: a flower, a fantasy blot, an animal, a fish, whatever.
Minimalism style made in wood
- Make the ceiling a continuation of the interior. Not to attract special attention to him, just to develop a general idea. In this case, you need to look at each specific room. In the high-tech style, a metallic-painted film will fit in well, and in a classic, a fabric with intricate plasterboard molding will look better.
Any other goals also suggest a choice of colors, textures and combinations, which also need to understand.return to menu ↑
A two-level ceiling is always some kind of contrast. The level difference in itself looks spectacular, but combinations of different materials look much more interesting:
- Plasterboard figure and tension surface. A common combination, as a complex construction of drywall, surrounded by a glossy or matte smooth surface always looks good. A circle on the edge of which there are lamps, an oval on which there is an image, a triangle, a square - it will look extremely impressive.
This option will be the highlight of the room.
- Plasterboard border and stretch surface. A flat surface surrounded by a protruding plasterboard ceiling into which you can embed fixtures is also a common combination that will look even better if you make an image in the center of the stretch ceiling.
- Different types of stretch ceilings. Glossy film, surrounded by a cloth, fabric inserts on a glossy surface - as a result, you can get an interesting pattern. Making it, of course, will take time.
- Perforation. The most interesting and complex combination, which implies that one ceiling is stretched over the other, and in the one that remains visible, shaped holes are made. Lamps can be placed on the upper layer, and a pattern that will look extremely interesting can be placed on the bottom layer.
Perforation is a relatively new trend, and therefore original.
Clear lines in the interiorCombining materials is much more difficult than making two levels of the same. But the result looks much more interesting, especially if you come to the point with fantasy. Return to the menu
Polyfoam and drywall are just dull and this is all limited - maximum, they can be painted in different colors or give a resemblance to a wooden or stone surface with the help of an appropriate color scheme. With suspended ceilings, everything is much more interesting. They can be:
- Smooth. The bright mirror surface of any color is the classic film ceiling to which everyone is accustomed. Reflects everything that happens below, makes the room visually larger, expands the space and looks spectacular.
- Plain matte fabric. The texture is similar to plaster and looks about as well. You can paint, you can leave as is. If you leave, it will make the room more comfortable and more comfortable - the matte texture is more pleasant for the eyes.
- Matte Satin. Satin is also white, but it is distinguished by a specific brilliance, which looks particularly impressive if you add some paint on top. A beautiful solution with a pearl shimmer, also visually enlarge the room.
Match your ideas with technical capabilities
- Art painting. It is possible only on the fabric, and if you find a good professional artist, it will look like in a real art gallery. It can be a geometric pattern, it can be a vegetative pattern, or it can be a real picture - it’s best to place it in an environment of bright glossy surface.
- Photo printing. Variant of artistic approach, but simpler than painting.It is usually made to order, it can be done both on a glossy surface - then it will be bright, colorful - and on matte, then it will be muffled. There are ready-made paintings that can be bought without prior order.
The main thing is to choose a good one, because not every interior is suitable.
- Starry sky. It is made with the use of sateen, behind the ceiling have small lamps that mimic the glow of the stars. Very beautiful, cosmic solution that is suitable for the living room, you are made in dark colors.
- Metallic luster. Suitable for high-tech style, performed on film. It can be silver, steel, gold, bronze - the main thing is to fit the main interior. Variety - mirror shine. It does not allow to completely simulate a mirror, but it turns out somewhat similar.
Space in your home
You can always combine several textures, instead of making a two-level ceiling monotonous. You can, for example, make a drawing with the help of painting on a fabric insert in the middle, and cover the rest of the ceiling with a glossy film. Or simulate with the help of photo printing the surface of the sky and make clouds-inserts of drywall.
The main thing - in the process of inventing design to correlate their ideas with the technical capabilities, as well as with the rest of the interior room.
It will be interesting to you:
How to make a ceiling of plastic panels? 250+ (Photo) Do-it-yourself design (in the bathroom / in the kitchen / in the hallway)
Pros and cons of the stretch ceiling in the bathroom: The best solution or fashion? (125+ Photos)
The ceiling in the room (310 + Photo): high quality and fashionable. Only win-win options
Ceiling design: (+230 Photos) Modern stretch ceilings from A to Z
Ceiling of plasterboard in the hall: 80+ Photos of this feast of design and luxuryreturn to menu ↑
Significance of color
Color is a variable whose significance cannot be overestimated. Wrong, he is able to devalue perfectly matched material with texture. There are three significant nuances in terms of color.
An interesting solution in the African style
The first is how harmonized two different levels are:
- Monotony. The same color - in this combination it is impossible to make a mistake, but it is the most boring. You can dilute it with a pattern, pattern or carefully selected fixtures, but in itself it is unpleasant, great for those living rooms where the ceiling should not attract attention as much as possible.
- Shades. One level of bright, saturated color, the other either lighter or darker, but - a hue of the same color. It is also difficult to make a mistake here, and the combination looks more interesting than monotony. In addition, it can perfectly fit into the interior, supporting the main range.
- Contrast. The brightest, most attractive combination is that the colors are opposite to each other. Black and white, orange and purple, yellow and blue - you can see what contrasts are, by looking in any color table. This combination gives tension, attracts attention, adds a zest to the interior. But it is appropriate only where there are no other highlights. Contrast does not take root in the interiors, where even without him there is something to see.
From the combination of colors, you can make a separate ceiling with patterns and drawings. With regard to them, the main task of the rest of the surface is not to attract too much attention, to get into the main tone. Best suited to light pastel colors or dark, devoid of brightness.
It is important that they are combined with the picture as a whole.
The second important nuance is how harmonious the ceiling is with the rest of the interior. As a rule, the way it is combined with the walls allows you to beat the same room in different ways:
- Light top and light bottom. Make the room visually narrower, elongated in height. This is true for low ceilings in a small living room - at the same time it seems higher and more spacious.
- Light top with dark everything else. Makes the room only higher. The feeling of space does not increase, it only seems that the ceiling is not so low.
- Dark top and dark bottom. They make the room lower, visually expand it. Good for small rooms with too high ceilings, which in their original form resemble a pencil case.
- Dark top and light everything else. Makes lower ceilings, but does not expand the space. Well suited for a high spacious room, which because of this seems too big and echoing.
Classic never goes out of fashionThese are the most common combinations. The idea is often used in which both the top and the bottom and the walls remain of the same color — usually the most unassuming, white, pastel, bright, cold — and the only bright spot is painting, photo printing or a drywall element of a different color.
In such an interior, all attention is riveted to a bright spot.
This allows you to hide the disadvantages of the room, while not hiding them, which remains an elegant way out.
Light cold tones
The third important nuance is the color gamut of the levels by itself:
- Light pastel colors. They are distinguished by neutrality, allow you to focus on any part of the room, are considered useful for the psyche and pacifying.
- Light cold tones. Blue, light green, light yellow of a certain shade. Visually expand the room, make it even look brighter. Well suited to the classic style.
- Light warm tones. They make rooms more comfortable, but a little less. Peach, warm shades of pink, yellow - they are pleasantly combined with small elements of dark colors in the interior.
- Dark cold tones. Visually enlarge the room, but make it somewhat uncomfortable. Such a ceiling will put pressure on the shoulders, unless its height is too great in itself.
- Dark warm tones. Variations of brown, shades of red, orange make the room smaller and more comfortable. It goes well with small accents of bright colors and lighter tones.
White will visually expand the room.
It is not recommended to make a purely black ceiling - the color negatively affects the state of health, if you do not include it in the interior, carefully diluting it with bright accents.
To make pure white is possible. It will quickly get dirty, but it will expand the room..return to menu ↑
How to summarize the work and put it all together?
Having decided what the ceiling should look like in general, one can take a more detailed elaboration of the nuances:
- First you need to once again remember what will be the general idea of the interior. Inspired by the textures and materials, and you can forget about current needs. At the final stage it is important to remember how the room should look.
- Then you need to think over and draw the design of a two-level ceiling - you can by hand on paper, or you can in a special program that allows you to get an idea of the interior in advance.
- Chalk lines on the living room floor - this will help to understand how the structure will look in reality, which zones will be highlighted and where the light will lie.
You can fulfill any of your ideas.
Then you can make edits to the final project, mark transitions of the level and place where the lamps will be, and after that either hire a brigade or start purchasing tools.