The content of the article:
Weaving baskets involves the use of rope technology, with its help you can create beautiful products for home decor. It is convenient to store knitting yarns, handicraft items and other accessories in such baskets. A ready-made basket does not differ in special strength, therefore it is not worth placing objects with large weights into it.
Basket of newspaper tubesBoardA basket from a newspaper is well suited for storing decorative fruits in the kitchen: it serves more as an interior item than as a means for carrying things.
To independently make a basket with your own hands at home, you can use a master class for beginning needlewomen. All that is required is to prepare the necessary materials and follow the suggested step-by-step instructions with photos. The process is so fascinating that it will allow to use even children aged from 7 years.
For work you will need:
- paper - it is better to take newspapers with a solid foundation: advertising leaflets or magazines will work well;
- spoke - it is useful for twisting the tubes themselves: the thicker the needle, the thicker the tubes will be, so it is better to take the size from 2.5 to 4 mm;
- PVA glue - to assemble the base;
- acrylic paint, varnish or stain - for finishing the finished product;
- accessories for the decor of the basket.
Having prepared all the necessary materials, we proceed to work.
To begin with, let's cut the journal into strips 5-7 cm wide, of which we will twist the tubules later.
Take a needle and attach to it the end of the strip, gradually twisting around the axis: we get the first tube that needs to be fixed with a drop of glue on the end.Depending on the size of the future product, the number of tubes will be determined. For example, for a basket with a diameter of 14 cm you will need from 40 to 50 pieces of paper. Increasing the height of the basket, it is necessary to increase the number of blanks.
At the next stage, we proceed to the creation of a base for the bottom part.
We put across 4 on 4 tubules, forming a cross. For strength, it is recommended to grease the cross with white glue to make the base more reliable. The cross is considered to be one of the easiest ways to make a base, so it is often used in weaving workshops for beginners.
Next, go to the weaving of the bottom.
- We take one tube and fold it in half, forming a loop. We put it on the resulting 4 tubes as shown in the photo. After that, proceed to weaving rope method.
- Rope weaving is carried out in this order of work: the tube that is in front is twisted backwards, and the one that was at the back — on the contrary, is twisted forward. So you need to braid a few rows until the sticks run out. When they run out, build up - just insert a new blank into the hole of the old one and fix it with glue.
- After making 2 rows of 4 tubes, they need to be divided and continue weaving after every 2 newspaper sticks. This will give the base special strength. The next step will be the braiding of 1 divided tube, as shown in the photo: in the end, the number of rows will depend on the future diameter of the bottom.
- The paper blanks involved in weaving are cut and bent inwards, the bottom itself in the places of the end is glued and fixed with clothespins until it is completely dry. After this, we begin the ascent of the walls of the basket in order to proceed to the fabrication of the side parts.
Next, proceed to weaving the wall.
- Again we make a loop from the blank, put it on the wall of the tube and weave it in the rope way just as we worked with the bottom.
- The number of rows depends on the height: in order for the basket to keep its shape, we put the can on the bottom and weave it.
- To finish weaving, we also cut off the ends and bend the billet inwards, smearing it with glue.
We start weaving the handle.
- To do this, leave 3 tubes on opposite sides of the basket and braid them.
- Weaving should be carried out immediately from both sides of the product, gradually narrowing it to the center of the basket.
- At the top, the ends are connected with tape and disguised as the base of the handle.
- The final stage is considered to finish the product: mix a little acrylic white paint, water and glue and walk this composition around the perimeter of the walls.
- It is also necessary to paint over the bottom of the product. To dry the basket, turn it upside down and leave it for several hours.
One of the main parts of the basket is a quality handle, because it will come in handy to move products from place to place. The handle should be dense and durable, it can be decorated as desired: make braiding with tape, stick artificial stones and rhinestones, and also simply decorate with colored acrylic. You can make a pen in several ways:
- openwork weaving;
- rope way.
Handle weaving technique
In this master class will be considered the manufacture of a reliable and beautiful handle for a basket using a pigtail weaving technique. At first glance, it seems that the technique is complex and defies explanation, but by following the step-by-step actions after 1 hour, you can enjoy the finished wicker handle.